Saturday, January 27, 2024

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

I continue to relish well written historical (or mythical) novels, and this one by Madeline Miller was no exception.

Her first novel, written prior to Circe that I enjoyed so much, tells the story of Achilles through the eyes of Patroclus.

And although I've long known the basic story, the richness and realism of Miller's telling unveils a deeper understanding and knowledge of the life of Achilles, Patroclus, Thetis, Briseis, Chiron, Odysseus and so many others that appear throughout the story.

Although I enjoyed Circe more than Achilles, that's either happenstance, or simply the fact that Miller's talent developed further with her second novel.

I'm pleased to learn that she's working on a third novel, about Persephone, a story of which I certainly would appreciate a deeper understanding.

No comments: