Sunday, July 23, 2023

My Study of Aristophanes

I'm winding down two critical books in my exploration of ancient Greek comedy, the Complete Works of Aristophanes (Delphi Classics) and the Cambridge Companion to Greek Comedy.

Both are core to my understanding of ancient Greek culture, and both have been deeply interesting.

As I've written in the past, my appreciation for Greek drama derives from its ability to bring these cultures to life, not necessarily from the entertainment value itself.  Although the comedies do entertain, and I find my self chuckling from them repeatedly, they open a window into that world unlike any other.

I've read other "Cambridge Companions" before, but only now am I starting to grasp how much value they add to my understanding of ancient cultures.  I need to read a lot more of them moving forward.

No comments: