Friday, May 26, 2023

The End of Animal Farming by Jacy Reese Anthis

I watched a recent Ted Talk that explained the extreme inefficiency of animal farming, how more than 10 calories are fed to farm animals for every one calorie of meat that is yielded from farmed animals.

That fact is eye opening, and essentially ludicrous.  Would anyone spend 10 dollars to yield one dollar?

When you add in the cruelty of animal farming, plus the huge environmental impact of the same, and you really have to call the entire system into question.

That same Talk explained the basics of cell-cultured meat, the process of growing meat outside of an animal, how it is molecularly identical to animal meat, delicious, healthy, with wildly reduced impact on the environment, and I knew it was something I wanted to explore further.

This book helped me do exactly that.  Although five years old (published in 2018), the movement to end animal farming has moved significantly forward in the interim, the book provided a foundational level of knowledge for me to dig further.

With my growing interest in dog welfare, now expanding into animal welfare, I'm deeply moved by the possibilities of cultured meat and the idea of ending animal farming.  The author spells it out as virtually a foregone conclusion, the only real question being the exact pace of change.

The book draws interesting comparisons to the replacement of horse power with the combustion engine, as well as the transition from slave power to wage labor.

I'm motivated to learn about how I can channel our personal philanthropy to expedite that transition.

No comments: