Sunday, February 12, 2023

Paris: The Collected Traveler, edited by Barrie Kerper

I had anticipated this as a collection of travel essays, along the lines that I have so enjoyed about traveling in Italy and Greece.

It turned out to be a much more eclectic, albeit fruitful, collection of stories, interviews, observations, book recommendations and travel resources regarding all aspects of traveling in and around Paris.  

There were some gems in the bunch, like an interview with Ina Garten, stories about Julia Child, and little known spots in Paris I would never have found otherwise.  I made many edits to my notes and plans for Paris while reading the book; and I downloaded a few books on Paris and France that were highly recommended.

It was longer than I needed.  I actually took a break midway through the book to read Circe in its entirety.  But the collection format made it easy to simply skip over irrelevant bits that don't interest me.

I'm altogether more prepared for, and informed about, Paris as a result of this diverse collection.

No comments: