Sunday, September 15, 2024

Beethoven: The Man Revealed by John Suchet

In further preparation for our upcoming trip to Vienna I chose this book about Beethoven.  I had read a book of his letters perhaps 30 years ago, a book which I still have in my study.

I chose Suchet's book largely due to its brevity of only a few hundred pages.  It was sufficient in detail to suit its purpose, and was well researched and written.

I was reminded of Beethoven's legal battles to adopt his nephew.  But I did not recall his eccentricities.  Apparently his downtrodden appearance led to many believing upon first site that he was a vagrant.

Such are the minds of many geniuses, so brilliant in one aspect, while so lacking in common traits and behaviors.

His deafness occurred much earlier in adulthood than I recalled.  Such a sad irony for one of the world's greatest composers to lose his hearing.

The book has spurred me to listen to his works.  While in my high school and college years I spent much time with his symphonic works and piano sonatas, I'm now drawn to his string works for smaller ensembles.

Anyhow, the book added additional color and life to the city of Vienna and the broader Germanic world that I'm seeking in advance of our trip.

No comments: