Friday, July 19, 2024

China Between Empires by Mark Edward Lewis

I continue my study of China with this second volume of Lewis' six part series.

I found parts of it challenging, partly due to long treatises on military activity that simply doesn't interest me, plus the nature of this portion of Chinese history, the low ebb known as the "Northern and Southern Dynasties" period that took place between the fall of the Han and the rise of the Sui and Tang Dynasties.

Many sections thrilled me, however, especially that on cultural advancements.  The wide adoption of Buddhism, of course, interests me.  

But also the section about the rising importance of natural environments during the period: The insecurities of the time sent many elites into the mountains and hinterlands, adopting hermit-like lifestyles and building elaborate mountain palaces.

But an opposite reversion to nature also took place, bringing natural life into the cities and palaces with elaborate gardens, something still strongly seen in East Asian culture.

It's slow going, but I'm beginning to wrap my arms around Chinese culture.  I'm guessing the coming volumes of Lewis' series will provide further appreciation, as the dynasties become more distinct and our understanding of them more vivid.

No comments: