Saturday, August 27, 2022

Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

Never having seen the movie I went into this novel with zero context.  I found it interesting, especially in light of our upcoming trip to Greece.

The story contrasts the life of Zorba, an eccentric, impetuous, impulsive, rootless, philosopher-hero, with that of the narrator, perhaps a stand-in for the every-man, who dreams of the road-less-traveled but never strays from security and normalcy.

I believe that we all want some Zorba in our life; I know I do.  But that kind of life works for very few, even though it's so thrilling to watch from the outside.

We all need to carve our own path.  And as exciting as it must be to live from adventure to adventure, I believe that the reality of it can't possibly live up to the dream.

So I'll settle for some Zorba in my life, but as with everything, I'll take it in moderation.

No comments: