Sunday, October 31, 2021

It by Stephen King

Another great tale by the master of psychological horror.  Probably my second favorite King book so far, a distant second after The Stand.

I loved the epicness of the story, the bigness of the canvas.  

But in the end the book wasn't quite as good as it was long, at least for me.

I know that it's not easy to edit great art, but It, like so much of Charles Dickens and many others', was unnecessarily long.

But there is so much about the book that I loved.  As with all King, the deep backstory on each of the characters, both major and minor, each fitting in tightly with the broader story.  

The slow burn, wondering exactly how it will all fit together.

And of course with It, the theme of the awesome power of belief in oneself and faith in one's friends.  It took a careful wielding of those powers to kill It, powers wielded by children, and later by adults.  And the reality of those powers were my take-aways, the message that King perhaps tried to impart to his readers.

No comments: