Sunday, September 12, 2021

Spirit of Place by Lawrence Durrell

I unearthed more treasure from Durrell in this collection of letters and essays portraying his life around the Mediterranean.

Although his life was perhaps not idyllic, Durrell tells stories of real people and places that make one envy life in the Mediterranean.  I don't know if he lived a more interesting life than most, or if he has an observational talent that, matched with his literary prowess, makes life seem far more interesting.

His stories, his life, his portrayals of life in Greece, Cypress, France and beyond call to me.

The book also includes some early fiction of his, the first I've read to date.  And that has urged me to move beyond his non-fiction work, into the novels for which he is more commonly known.  

And so just this morning I finally started Justine, the first of his Alexandrian novels...

No comments: