Saturday, June 26, 2021

The Greek World 479-323 BC by Simon Hornblower

I dove into my study of the classical period of Greek civilization with this overview by Simon Hornblower.  The book served its purpose as a general summary of the period. 

But as with many "general histories," this one devoted too much space to military history for my liking.  To compensate for this I've downloaded several more specialized books on the period, covering topics including the Sophists, a biography of Pericles, an archeaological study that unearths the family of Alexander the Great, democracy beyond Athens, 24 Hours in Ancient Athens and the invention of medicine in classical Greece.

I've also started a series of novels set in classical Greece by Gary Corby, the first entitled The Pericles Commission.

No comments: